About the course
This course aims to develop your confidence and fluency in, and a positive attitude towards, English. You will be required to demonstrate your competence in English by using it in real-world situations as well as to demonstrate a sound grasp of basic English knowledge and skills. Achievement of the qualification demonstrates the ability at an appropriate level to read, write, speak, listen, and communicate in English, and to apply these skills effectively to a range of purposes in the workplace and in other real-life situations.
This course is for:
- Those without a GCSE in English looking to take their first English qualification.
- Learners undertaking vocational learning or an apprenticeship that needs English skills to support their main programme of learning.
- Individuals taking alternative routes to GCSEs wishing to develop English skills.
To achieve this qualification, learners must successfully pass all three assessment components at Level 1/2:
- One externally set and marked assessment in reading.
- One externally set and marked assessment in writing.
- One internally or externally set, and internally assessed assessment (comprising of two tasks) in speaking, listening and communicating (SLC)
- You will be awarded with Open Awards or NCFE Level 1/2 Functional Skills Qualification in English.
- This will prepare you for further learning or training and develop skills in this subject area.
- Open days
- Chats with current and past students
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- When does the course starts: flexible starting dates?
- What is the length of the course? This programme will last for 10-12 weeks
- Where will I study? Hybrid (online or face to face)
- How will be graded? Achieved or not yet achieved.
- How much is the course fee: The course is £250.00 and runs quarterly for 10-12 weeks beginning in September every year; the start date will be available upon enquiry.
- The recommended book is CGP Functional Skills English Level 1/2 Study & Test Practice. This book is available for purchase at the centre for £10, alternatively it can be purchased online. The aim of each class session will be to complete the book with support provided by the tutor as well as individual study time when completing homework.